While we all want to be perceived as the “busy bee” at the office, it is important that you know why you are working so hard.
There is no doubt that we all want our bosses to know that we are industrious employees who go above and beyond the call of duty. We want to stand out and possibly put ourselves in line for that promotion. But is that what you really want?
It is imperative to know why you are working so hard. Without a strong sense of purpose behind your actions, the fruits of your labor could leave you feeling empty. You may never feel satisfied. You may never feel successful.
Too often, we do things, especially in our careers, because we believe it is what is expected of us rather than what we really want to do.
Here are some questions to ask yourself to help you gauge what is motivating you to action:
- Am I doing this because I want to?
- Am I in a career that I am passionate about?
- Do I get a sense of fulfillment from my work?
- Am I working hard or working smart?
- Do I have a clear vision of what I want my career to be?
- What do I think will happen if I get to that next level in my career?
- Will it be worth all the effort in the long run?
While these questions are only a starting point, it is wise to understand why you are working so hard. The clearer you are about what you are doing and why you’re doing it, the happier you will be.
Make sure that you are working hard in the right place and for the right reasons.